Friday 7 October 2011

Work hard, play hard

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I have another "local tourist" post about the European Heritage Open Days in progress but I just haven't had time to finish it off. It's like my employers expect me to actually, like, work for my pay or something, the cheeky beggars.

One piece of brief but happy news however is that the Yorkshireman and I have now set the wheels in motion for our return to the east coast of the USA early next year. By all accounts it'll be absolutely freezing but living in Northern Ireland I'm pretty used to wrapping up warm and carrying an umbrella at all times in the winter months, so it's no skin off my nose. Well, maybe some dry skin if I don't stay moisturised (I recall falling gratefully upon some Palmers Olive Oil hand cream in Duane Reade on our trip last November when my poor extremities started shrivelling up in the cold, dry New York air).

So yes, the flights are booked, hotel rooms are reserved and train tickets between the three cities we'll be visiting (Washington DC, New York and Boston) have been purchased. I cannot wait! The only disadvantage is that my leave from work is now very much limited between now and then, so I imagine I'll be hitting Virgin Atlantic's free "sky bar" pretty hard as soon as the seatbelt sign has been turned off after we leave Heathrow.

Beyond that there's not a great deal of excitement going on right now. The Yorkshireman and I have spent the last two weeks fighting off a nasty cold that's being doing the rounds. Tonight I managed a gym session for the first time since the Sunday before last and was very proud that I not only managed to remain upright and breathing, but also managed to run a 5k. Naturally I'm rewarding myself with copious amounts of wine and pyjamas. Well, today it is Friday yet after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment